7 Best Things to do in Melbourne, Australia During Your Cruise
Looking for things to do in Melbourne Australia? Consider www.CruiseExperts.com’s top 7 suggestions.
If you have an upcoming cruise around Australia, and Melbourne is on your itinerary, get ready to have some fun in this vibrant capital city of Victoria! This metropolis offers a laid-back vibe, is welcoming to tourists, and full of culture and things to do. Many of the city’s attractions are centralized, and walking is a way of life here. In addition, Melbourne offers its guests a delightful trolley system to navigate around town, ideal for travelers who can’t walk far. Be ready to greet a bustling city with unique architecture, and an abundance of cafes and restaurants. If you are preparing your trip early and making a list of things to do in Melbourne Australia consider the following top 7 suggestions:
- Stroll the Gardens – Since 1846, the Royal Botanic Gardens have mesmerized countless visitors and residents. Made up of almost 100 acres and over 50,000 botanical specimens, this is the perfect day adventure for any nature lover. While here, you can also enjoy the rainforest, ponds and variety of swans, ducks and more. Be sure to grab a bit at one of the two cafes before heading back to your ship!
- Explore an Architectural Masterpiece – If you love to witness different types of a rchitecture on your travels, stop by a famed English Gothic Revival gem, St. Paul’s Cathedral. Once inside, prepare to see stunning mosaics, and intricate woodcarvings and floor tile artwork. Depending on when you visit, you may even catch the Boy’s Choir.
- Experience Federation Square – When researching excursions in Melbourne, Australia, you will most likely come across the notable Federation Square. This indoor/outdoor locale is Melbourne’s top spot, filled with shops, cinemas, art galleries, concerts, cafes, and is home to the area’s Visitor Center. A great location for people watching, you can also experience multiple Melbourne attractions all in one place.
- Get Wild – Ask your cruise ship staff what to do in Melbourne, and they are likely to recommend a Koala and Kangaroo tour. Available through multiple excursion tour companies, here you can see adorable, native animals. You may even set your sights on an Emu or Yellow-billed Spoonbill. A must see for animal lovers, just be sure to wear closed-toed shoes!
- Enjoy a Piece of History – If you consider yourself more of a history buff, take an excursion over to the Melbourne War Memorial. Originally built in the 1930, the Shine of Remembrance is dedicated to every Australian who has served. There is also a phenomenal view from the top, but plan to climb a good number of steps. Visitors can also enjoy the surrounding gardens.
- Get Inspired – If you consider yourself a creative, one of the best things to do in Melbourne, Australia is spend some time at the Ian Potter Centre: National Gallery of Victoria. Here you will experience a unique structure filled with the largest collection of Aboriginal, Torres Straight Islander and other Australian artwork. With everything from sculptures to colonial artwork, impressionism and more, you are sure to be inspired by the time you exit.
- Be Bold – Are you a daredevil at heart? If so, considering escaping to the Eureka Skydeck 88. This will offer you the highest view anywhere in the entire Southern Hemisphere. Almost 1,000 feet in the air, you will experience a view unlike any other. And for those who are true adventurers, take it one step further and venture into “The Edge,” a glass cube that extends out from the building and can hold up to 12 guests. With clear views in every single direction including below you, this will surely be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
While enjoying your excursions in Melbourne, Australia, you will have multiple ways of getting around the city including tram/trolley, taxi, foot, train or bus. Be sure to check with your cruise line about specific excursions.
To learn more about cruises Down Under, and plan others things to do in Melbourne Australia, reach out to the travel advisors at www.CruiseExperts.com. Contact us at 1-888-804-CRUISE (2784). Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and join our InnerCircle for exclusive offers and cruise news you can use! Also, check out our new Resource Center, where you can receive expert knowledge from us before your next cruise or cruisetour!
Our team of cruise consultants and support staff, based in Central California, counts nearly a century of combined talent, knowledge, and enthusiasm in the travel industry. We’re not just another internet upstart; our seasoned team has gained the trust and business of thousands of satisfied cruise and land vacation customers from all over the country since 1995. We ARE the original Cruise Experts.